Communication is the idea that someone can say something to get a response in return. Essentially, to get what we want. Porter has finally made this connection, and quite nicely I might add.
The other day, I went in to get Porter out of his crib. As soon as I walked in, he signed the word 'eat'. Usually, the first thing I do is give him a bottle and change his diaper. So, I helped him sign 'drink' and then 'diaper'. After that was done, he signed again the word 'eat'. So, then I said, okay, Porter wants to 'eat?' And he started kicking his legs (a sign that he's really excited about the idea). We came in and got him something to eat. That's what he's really wanted the whole time!
<*Heavenly Music*>
Okay, so later on in the day, I decided that it was time to clean the girls' room. IE: put away more toys because they're not taking care of the ones they already have out. So, getting close to being done, Porter starts getting a little bit fussy. I look down at Porter pulling on my pant-leg. He's signing the word 'eat.' (I'm thinking, 'he's such a boy.')
I look at the clock and, low and behold, it's lunchtime. I tell Porter we have to 'wait' (again another sign I like to share) until we're 'all done' (another sign) cleaning. I pick him up to help him know I haven't forgotten about him. He starts to yawn. (a sign to me that he's tired). Porter signs again the word 'eat' and then he starts to wave his hand (which is what we do when it's time for bed - we wave 'nite-nite').
You catching on to this?! He wants to eat and then go to bed... My 18 month old son is telling me that he wants to eat so that he can go to bed!
<*Heavenly Music again*> <*looking around to find out where it's coming from*>
I particularly liked that because I'm tired enough of telling my older girls it's quiet-time and all the 'but, but's' I have to deal with from them.
I wanted to share this grand new feat of Porter's! The speech therapist was quite ecstatic about it, too. We love her! (Thank you, Sheila.) Enjoy your day and remember what a thing it is just to be able to speak.
No comments:
Post a Comment