Today, we went in for Porter's night splint fittings. The PT has put an order in for Porter to have a splint on his right hand and foot at night when he sleeps so that they will stretch in his sleep to the position it needs to be in. Here's how that went...
So, Porter's hand splint is going to be a neoprene brace that will be velcro-ed in place. One will be for the day, another for the night, even though there won't be much difference.
The foot brace for the nighttime will have black straps with flames! We, well Dane, got to choose the design after an even vote and three games of rock, paper, scissors in the doctor's office - him standing right there watching. (We are so juvenile sometimes - *grinning*!) We were debating between camou or the flames. He's going to be one cool kid needless to say. Porter, that is.
"I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure." - unknown
For measuring Porter's foot brace, the doctor (of orthotics) made a cast right there in the office. It dried rather quickly, after a couple of minutes (and lots of action songs to keep Porter distracted). The doctor cut the cast off right there! It was so cool! But the girls were a little nervous for Porter. Luckily, the doctor explained before the procedure that he wouldn't hurt Porter.
Crazy me, I forgot to bring the camera. So I can't show you how cool it was unless you were here, and then I could show you on my 'high-tech' (just kidding) cell phone camera. (warning: it's no ipod touch.)
Worst part of today was the news that it's going to take three weeks to get the braces. I was kind of hoping for sooner. I really think that these will help Porter in his abilities. It's definitely not that I'm looking forward to the fussing, crying, and fighting we'll be dealing with!
No comments:
Post a Comment