Friday, January 9, 2009

On January 14th...

January 14th is going to be a big day. 
 
It's the day that we pick up our family pictures, but that's not until 3:30pm.  

No, our day is going to start early.  After my 5:30am water aerobics class class, I come home and get Porter up for his 8 AM appointment with the Occupational Therapist.  The PT will be there as well, for TWO HOURS.  

They are going to be casting Porter's left arm.  Yes, that's his good arm.  BUT, he just won't use his right unless he CAN'T use his left.  

So, needless to say, we are prepping for some hard times for the little guy.  I think I'll need to go and get some bubble bath so that I can take nice long baths after he goes to bed and relax while reading a good book.  (Just finished reading 'The Hollow Kingdom'.  It's AWESOME.)

Some of his future challenges...
communication - he signs with his left hand.
scooting - he leans into his left hand while scooting.
comfort - The cast will be at a 90 degree angle.  There might be enough of his thumb to suck on (for comfort; he's a thumb-sucker).  But he might not be able to get it to his mouth.  This might make for long nights.
eating - limited dexterity of his right hand.
toys - his toys are up on the ledge and he uses his left arm to pull up to the ledge to play with them

No comments: