The smell began to permeate the room. It was inevitable. It had to be changed right away.
Porter's diaper was poopy. I drug my lead feet and lay him down so that I can get it done. I must've assumed the normal mental zoning when I felt like I needed to undo his diaper to check to see if it was poopy. After opening the bag of wipies, I pull out the last one. Expecting to see more than that... 'I hope we can get it clean with just one, Porter.' ...starting to get a little worried.
Amazingly, the one wipie proved its worth. Satisfied with the job I turn to pull out a diaper. I move the toilet paper (for his runny nose) out of the way, set aside the powder... the only thing left in the diaper basket was rash ointment. The 'diaper' basket lacked its #1 priority. The girls had gone with Daddy... it was just Porter and myself (and it snowing outside - a sign of the mood, maybe.)
There was only one option. I had to go and get more diapers. And because he is unfailingly curious about his anatomy, more wipies to clean his hands. I sit there for a minute. My greatest challenge here --- Porter had to stay in one spot until I got back. First, he's a boy --- sitting still is not in his agenda. Second, he has never done it before.
'Porter stay here.' Here we go. I hurry upstairs (but not too fast as to attract attention) and find a half opened bag of diapers --- score! Next, the wipies. Stink! The box is unopened -- luckily the box cutter is close by. I grab one out after cutting through all of the tape and head back downstairs. Creeping around the corner, not sure what to expect (guessing... him scooting along the floor in the buff. uh... ewww).
There was Porter --- in the EXACT same position I left him in. 'What a good boy! You stayed!!!' I must not give him enough credit because I automatically felt like I was complimenting a little dog -- when in fact I'm speaking to my son. But I couldn't help but tell him how good he was -- over and over. I gave him a big hug afterwards and we walked around the house to wherever he pointed and wanted to go; and that's where we went for the next little while.
Lesson Learned:
Not only did I take for granted how many wipies were in the bag, there were no diapers anywhere in the basket. A new lesson learned here.... ALWAYS check to make sure there are enough wipies and at least one diaper BEFORE you undo the straps to your poopy kid's diaper. (It doesn't hurt to refill the basket when you know you've run out as well.)
AND --- miracles do happen.

1 comment:
Adorable story. Great job Porter!!!
Post a Comment