So, the kids come home for lunch from playing with their friends and say,
"Mom, did you know there's a fire?"
We walked out to our porch and immediately saw the smoke,
blackened hillsides, and helicopters dropping water.
Needless to say, I don't think I've ever seen the kids eat so quickly,
because I told them that after we eat
we'll go over to the school and watch the firemen and helicopters work.
So, we brought out the binoculars, Porter's monocular, and some water...
And we watched the spreading fire.
It was amazing and scary all at the same time.
Fire really spreads fast!
The helicopters would drop water and go pick more up.
One water bucket line was longer than the other so it can get lower into the canyons on the other side of the mountains.
And all kinds of fire trucks were working on the fire closest to the city.
We could see the big water tank truck.
We even saw the firemen shoot off flares to start a controlled fire to keep the existing one in line.
Soooo... we are eager to be hearing more control of this fire.
Through the night, the glow continued on the hillside.
And firemen slept in sleeping bags on the road/rocks.
All the while, we wish we could go help put out the fire, bring them water to drink, and just tell them we appreciate them.
-----
Also close to home, Dane's dad is firefighter in the mountains of Washington state.
We've seen their tanker, firetruck, and firefighting clothes.
We know they have to be able to walk fast while wearing all those clothes.
(Now we know why!)
We love to hear the stories that Grandpa (Dad) shares with us
about his experiences fighting fires up there.
----
The neighborhood is dusted with ashes.
We hear the helicopters working out in the sky.
And we've heard it's closer to Eagle Mountain and Saratoga Springs
AND a company that deals in explosives. (Not. Good.)
When Dane left for work this morning, he called and said that the fire department is camped out at Neptune Park.
I'm not sure whether that makes me feel safe or not... :)
I went to go take a picture or two. Here is their base camp!
I saw a couple of firefighters and felt brave enough to go ask if they need any help.
(I had visions of water and muffins going through my head.)
And to ask what the procedure is if there's an evacuation.
They happened to be waiting for a repair guy to show up and fix their blown out tire on their brush fire trucks. They were very willing to answer my questions and appreciated the desire to help.
(They had gatorade and pizza delivered.)
While we were chatting, the wind must've changed directions because a giant column of dark smoke started up in the sky. It covered the sun and made it look RED.
And this column wasn't small... it was big.
Their comment, "Looks like we'll be here for a few days."
Keep up the fight, Saratoga Springs & Eagle Mountain firefighters.
1 comment:
Wow, Jen......we were watching it last night as we were heading back from Orem to Herriman. I opened our windows up this morning and immediately smelled smoke. Brigham has asthma so I am so grateful it isn't as close as it is to you, right now. David says the firefighters are good around here though. You always hear about hundreds of homes losing to fires in other states but it seems it stays in the mountains here. Plus, we don't have as many trees. I believe those firefighters you were talking about will take care of you. If you need to evacuate though, you can camp out at our place.
Post a Comment