We've been reading Charlotte's Web.
Since we wanted to learn about the different animals in the book,
we decided to start at our favorite animal place: The Bean Museum!
We walked in and asked who could tell us about SPIDERS!
One of the guides jumped on the opportunity and took us to the 'Bug' Section.
Did you know that spiders are in the same family as millipedes and scorpions?
(That last one wasn't comforting.)
Family name: Arthropod/Arachnid
Spiders have 2 body sections (bugs have 3).
Spiders can't see very well,
but have hair on them that act as sensors to things around them.
(Like if you breath on them, they can feel that.)
Spiders have 8 legs.
Meet Rosie -- the trantula!
We have some brave kids!
The Museum handler assured us that she's sweet!
(I'm thinking, 'Sweet, my foot!')
How can you tell she's sweet?
Well, the museum gets different kinds of animals in and they quarantine them for at least 3 weeks (probably more like months). Then, they handle them and see how they react to different situations. If at any moment they show a sign of aggression, they are sent out.
Rosie has been dropped, bumped, squished and so on and has never shown any sign of aggression.
So, yes, I guess she is 'sweet'.
A couple of weeks previous to our venture, Dane saw the museum workers with Rosie out. They were letting the adults hold her. He passed it up because he thought might kill her if she touched him. (He is a pest control technician after all!)
I guess I took advantage of 'one-upping' Dane on this one. It felt really cool actually! It kind of tickled at first. She was really hairy on her legs, but the pads on the ends were really soft like the pads of a cat or dog.
(Tip: Don't think that a real tarantula is actually walking on your hand!)
----------
"By the way, we caught a snake...
What can you tell us about snakes?!"
Well, this is Bandit!
He's a Honduras milk snake -- the friskiest of all the snakes they have,
but still no sign of aggression.
Way COOL!
Feeling all their muscles move while you hold a snake is just neat.
They like to get close -- Bandit likes body heat.
Here, he's gone over my should and is starting to go around my back.
(Did I mention that he's a 'constrictor'?)
Next stop:
Thanksgiving Point's Farm Museum.
(Debany is EAGER to milk a cow!)
4 comments:
You have got some brave girls! Impressive!
I wouldn't hold the spider cause the way it would feel walking on me would be too much. But I'd definately hold the snake. :)
How cool is that!
How fun. I finally get to see some pictures to go with your story. I love it!
Post a Comment